June 3: Expect closure of the east side of 46th Street this week.
May 30: Expect closure of the east side of 38th Street early next week.
May 22: Construction will move to the east side of Hiawatha Avenue after Memorial Day. Expect road closures on the east side cross-streets while the corners are being replaced. Initial plans are to start with 32nd and 42nd streets.
May 19: The west side of 42nd Street is now closed for reconstruction.
May 15: Expect closures of the west side of 46th at Hiawatha this week and the east side of 32nd at Hiawatha next week.
May 13: The western side of the 46th and Hiawatha Ave intersection will be closed this week for construction work. The western side of 32nd and 38th streets have been re-opened.
May 7: The western side of the 38th St and Hiawatha Ave intersection will be closed for the next few days for construction work. The closure could last into next week if there are weather delays.
May 4: Work is finishing up on the median at 32nd Street. Expect closure of the west side of 32nd Street this week.
April 23: Below is the planned order of work for the project. Note that weather conditions can impact the timing for each phase.
- Median work at 32nd, 38th and 46th streets - left turn lane closures on Hiawatha Ave
- Median work at 42nd Street – left turn lane closures on Hiawatha Ave
- West side intersection work at 32nd, 38th and 46th streets – limited duration street closures on west side of intersection
- West side intersection work at 42nd Street – limited duration street closure on west side of intersection
- East side intersection work at 32nd, 38th and 46th streets - limited duration street closures on east side of intersection
- East side street closures at 42nd Street - limited duration street closure on east side of intersection
April 18: Traffic may be reduced to one lane on Hiawatha Avenue and turn lanes may be closed during the median work. One lane of Hiawatha will remain open. Construction will be limited to non-peak hours.
April 12, 2014
Construction will begin on Tuesday, April 15th, starting with median work at 32nd Street. The contractors will work their way south with the median work at 38th Street, 42nd Street, and 46th Street. The median work is scheduled to take approximately three weeks. Once the median work is completed construction will move to the side streets.
What is the project area? Hiawatha Avenue at 32nd, 38th, 42nd, and 46th streets.
Why is this project being done? Hiawatha Avenue is a difficult street to cross by foot, bike, wheelchair, or motor vehicle. High vehicle speeds, wide crossing distances, short crossing times, and LRT signal pre-emption have contributed to the difficult pedestrian and bicyclist environment. At the same time, the addition of the LRT line has added more pedestrians and bikers to the area. Improving the pedestrian and bike experience across Hiawatha Avenue was one of the priority projects identified in the Minnehaha-Hiawatha Community Works project.
Who is involved? This project is being funded by Hennepin County, the Minnesota Department of Transportation, and the City of Minneapolis.
What is being done? This project aims to make it easier and more comfortable for walkers and bikers to cross Hiawatha Avenue at these intersections. Improvements will include:
- Adding bump-outs at some corners to reduce the distance across Hiawatha Avenue. Bump outs can also reduce traffic speeds.
- Providing more walk time for people to cross Hiawatha Avenue
- Making the crosswalks more visible
- Upgrading the crosswalks to meet new ADA requirements
- Adding bike enhancements at key locations
- Adding wider medians at some locations to provide a more comfortable place to stand for people who cannot make it across the entire intersection.
March 2012 Presentation from Open Houses